In patients with DCIS or breast cancer, the cancer can be removed using patterns to improve the appearance or shape of the breast. These patterns accomplish several things:
1) It allows large margins to be obtained as well as the overlying skin.
2) It prevents a post-operative lumpectomy defect.
3) It improves the appearance of the breast and “psyche” of the patient.
4) It facilitates the delivery of post-lumpectomy radiation.
5) It helps timely chemotherapy administration by controlling post-operative fluid accumulation.